Subheading

Please join the Facebook group HERE, the Twitter page HERE or the Instagram page HERE for notifications of every post on here, so you can keep abreast of things and not miss out.

Friday 26 August 2016

Mix CD #13 - Covers Vol 2: Come Out And Play


When I published the first covers mix (that you can view HERE) I said I had songs enough to make plenty of further mixes and I did not lie.
I would imagine I'll be doing another one in a few mixes time we'll see. In the meantime though, I hope you enjoy this one, there's a fairly eclectic array of songs on offer so you should find something you like. If you'd rather look at life negatively then I'm sure you'll find something you hate,

Either way, you can download the mix HERE

The Dollyrots - Come Out And Play
Rage Against The Machine - How I Could Just Kill A Man
Silver Sun - Xanadu
Karnivool - Sleeping Satellite
China Drum - Wuthering Heights
The Slackers - Wanted Dead Or Alive
Marilyn Manson - This Is Halloween
Jason & The Scorchers - Country Roads, Take Me Home
Me First & The Gimme Gimmes - Straight Up
Stone Sour - Too Fast For Love
They Might Be Giants - Bills, Bills, Bills
Tragedy - Hot Stuff
Volbeat - I Only Wanna Be With You
The Divine Comedy - Life On Mars?
Lunachicks - Heart Of Glass
Armored Saint - I Feel Fine
Kick Joneses - The Safety Dance
Richard Cheese - The Girl Is Mine
Weezer - I'm A Believer
Senser - Follow The Leader
The Gaslight Anthem - House Of The Rising Sun
Therapy? - Gimme Gimme Gimme (A Man After Midnight)
Metallica - Don't You Think This Outlaw Bit's Done Got Out Of Hand?

x



The Dollyrots - Come Out And Play
Originally by The Offspring
The Dollyrots are a Pop Punk band comprised of married duo Kelly Ogden and Luis Cabezas. They're an upbeat, cheery band and while this Punk classic isn't the most positive of songs, it fits them perfectly. Also I never realised it was about gangs and that until I listened to this version for this mix. Learn something every day etc.
I don't know if it is or not but the "You gotta keep 'em separated" bit sounds very much like it's Jaret Reddick of off Bowling For Soup

Rage Against The Machine - How I Could Just Kill A Man
Originally by Cypress Hill
The original of this song is one of my favourite Cypress Hill tracks and Rage do it a whole load of justice. Tom Morello's riffing is both heavy and catchy, there's not that many songs where the music is as hummable as the chorus but this is one of them. Lyrically it's particularly relevant at the moment with all the gun control debating going on in the US. B Real from Cypress Hill is currently the co-frontman (along with Chuck D from Public Enemy) in Prophets Of Rage, The name RATM have chosen to use continue with without Zack De La Rocha

Silver Sun - Xanadu
Originally by Rush
I thought this was a cover of the Olivia Newton-John song until I listened to the original and discovered it was the Rush song not the horrendous Disco classic. The fact they've manged to easily condense a 12 minute long Prog epic into a catchy, Pop Rock song and that it works so well is impressive.

Karnivool - Sleeping Satellite
Originally by Tasmin Archer
Karnivool are a Progressive Metal band from Australia. They're at the less heavy end of the spectrum, much like Porcupine Tree etc. I remember the original of this song really well but didn't know it was a hit in other Countries too. Tasmin Archer was a one hit wonder in the 90's and I thought it was a shame cos Sleeping Satellite was a really good song. This version is great too.

China Drum - Wuthering Heights
Originally by Kate Bush
This song was a minor UK hit in the 90's for the band, despite it being the hidden track on their debut album Goosefair. It's a great cover, instantly recognisable but also in keeping with the Melodic Punk of their own stuff.

The Slackers - Wanted Dead Or Alive
Originally by Bon Jovi
Ah I love this cover. It's an old school Ska cover of Bon Jovi's epic power ballad about a man on a motorbike. It works so well and is quite obviously a piss take but still dead catchy.

Marilyn Manson - This Is Halloween
Originally from The Nightmare Before Christmas
I've always preferred Marilyn Manson when he performs with a twinkle in his wonky eye over his more serious stuff. This is a bit of a strange song but it's an entertaining version. The creepy, twisted Gothicness of Nightmare Before Christmas perfectly suits him

Jason & The Scorchers - Country Roads, Take Me Home
Originally by John Denver
I would imagine most people who like Jason & The Scorchers got into them via the same source; The Wildhearts name-checking them in 29 x The Pain. Their uptempo brand of Country Punk is a joy to listen to and they do a pleasant job of this Country standard

Me First & The Gimme Gimmes - Straight Up
Originally by Paula Abdul
Me First & The Gimme Gimmes, for those who don't know, are a Punk supergroup/covers band featuring members of: NOFX, Foo Fighters, No Use For A Name, Lagwagon and the Swingin' Utters. The chorus of this 80's Pop classic takes on a whole different slant when sung by a man "Wouldn't like to get my love caught in the swinging door". Ouch.

Stone Sour - Too Fast For Love
Originally by Motley Crue
Stone Sour are, as I'm sure you know, Corey Taylor from Slipknot's other band. They're more melodic than Slipknot and allow Corey to stretch himself in different directions vocally that might not be accessible through the medium of Slipknot's raw aggression. This cover stays fairly close to the original but is a bit meatier and I think it's fair to say Corey is a better singer than Vince Neil.

They Might Be Giants - Bills, Bills, Bills
Originally by Destiny's Child
The kings of Nerd Rock have been churning out albums for about thirty years now. They're usually pretty weird but always chirpy and feelgood. The awful rhymes and puns of this R&B classic fit right into their strange little world.

Tragedy - Hot Stuff
Originally by Donna Summer
Originally this band billed themselves as a Heavy Metal tribute to The Bee Gees. Obviously that only gave them a limited repertoire so they branched out into other Disco and Pop classics. Such as this one. If you get a chance to see them live then try to do so because they're a lot of fun. 

Volbeat - I Only Wanna Be With You
Originally by Dusty Springfield
I'm not really familiar with the Dusty Springfield version of this song, I just remember that Samantha Fox had a hit with it in the early Nineties. Thinking of it as her song makes the version by this Danish Alternative Metal band all the more appealing to me.

The Divine Comedy - Life On Mars?
Originally by David Bowie
This is a fairly faithful rendition of a song that I would imagine you're all familiar with already. If it wasn't for Neil Hannon's unique and identifiable voice lifting it up out of the ordinary I probably wouldn't have included it. In fact I nearly didn't, I wanted to use thier version of Pictures Of Matchstick Men but it was too long for the mix unfortunately. Maybe another day

Lunachicks - Heart Of Glass
Originally by Blondie
Lunachicks were an all female Punk band from New York. They've been on one of them haitus things since 2000 so I doubt there's much chance of anything new by them but track down some of their albums if you can because they were great, particularly Pretty Ugly or Jerk Of All Trades

Armored Saint - I Feel Fine
Originally by The Beatles
A surprisingly lightweight and carefree song by these Trad Metal legends, it's close to the original but beefed up a fair bit and, of course, John Bush's instantly recognisable howl metals it up nicely.

Kick Joneses - The Safety Dance
Originally by Men Without Hats
I'm not sure how I first got into these peculiar German Punks but I've got a couple of their albums and they're both very listenable. Their version of this 80's classic is a lot poppier then their usual style and very similar to the original. I assume they covered as both vocalists sound quite alike, Anyway, good band, good song, 

Richard Cheese - The Girl Is Mine
Originally by Michael Jackson 
There was any number of songs by Richard Cheese I could have chosen as he makes his living doing lounge covers, usually of Metal songs. For this mix however, I've picked a Michael Jackson song that was originally a duet with Paul McCartney. Who Richard duets with is a work of comedy genius. You'll have to listen to find out who

Weezer - I'm A Believer
Originally by The Monkees
Weezer covering one of The Monkees biggest hits sounds exactly how you would expect it to. It's bright bouncy and feel good. Ah doo doo doo doo doo. It was used in one of the Shrek films once, Shrek 2 I think. Could have been 3. Dunno. "Ah doo doo doo doo doo."

Senser - Follow The Leader
Originally by Eric B. & Rakim
I'm not too up on 80's Hip Hop so I'm not familiar with the original, though I've heard of Eric B & Rakim. This version has a menacing riff powering it along and if I didn't know otherwise I'd think it was Senser's own. Much like Rage Against The Machine above they're one of a very select group: Rap Metal bands that still sound credible. Senser are very English in their delivery and take in all manner of styles and influences. They pioneer and create rather than bandwagon and all of their albums are excellent. 


The Gaslight Anthem - House Of The Rising Sun
Originally by The Animals
Another fairly faithful representation of a classic song. This one gets covered a lot but this time it's given the working class American overhaul. Brian Fallon's gravelly voice isn't so far removed from Eric Burdon's and it's a decent version. It fits in with their own stuff pretty well too.

Therapy? - Gimme Gimme Gimme (A Man After Midnight)
Originally by ABBA
Originally a B-side on the Gimme Back My Brain single wherein they covered a load of songs that had 'Gimme' in the title. This is one of my favourite covered. They play it straight though it's beefed up a bit and is obviously sung from a Mans' perspective. It's incredibly camp and will put  a smile on your stupid face.

Metallica - Don't You Think This Outlaw Bit's Done Got Out Of Hand?
Originally by Waylon Jennings
This isn't technically a Metallica song but a James Hetfield solo track that was recorded for a Waylon Jennings tribute album but, to be honest, it could fit right into their Load era. I don't how appealing you might find that but I always liked Load and I like this song too. Even the slide guitar...

No comments:

Post a Comment