Subheading

Please join the Facebook group HERE, the Twitter page HERE or the Instagram page HERE for notifications of every post on here, so you can keep abreast of things and not miss out.

Monday 21 March 2016

Mix CD #1 - The Twelve Albums Meme Thing

I was wondering what to do for my first post on here because I felt like it ought to BE something, not just a collection of songs like I plan to do a lot of. Then I got tagged on Facebook in a meme that you've probably seen; Twelve Albums That will Always Stay With You. Pick 12 albums, tag 12 friends,, you know the sort of thing. I was gonna just compile it and post on Facebook but then I figured it might do for this. So here you are. twelve albums that I've loved for a long time.

There's a link below to download a mix of one song from every album too. 

Cheers,
Luke




The Wildhearts – Earth Vs The Wildhearts (1993)

This band kickstarted the whole Britrock genre of the 90’s and changed the way I thought about music. This is their first full album and is a riotous mix of Hard Rock, Punk, Metal and a huge swath of melody. Every song is a classic and full of lines you’ll find yourself singing. From The aggression of Suckerpunch and Drinking About Life to the joyful misery (does that make sense?) of TV Tan, Everlone or Loveshit. If you have an interest in any sort of alternative rock then you really need to have this album.

Half Man Half Biscuit – Trouble Over Bridgewater (2000)

I’ve been a fan of this hilarious Post Punk/Indie band since I was a teen. An alarmingly long time ago. Nigel Blackwell is a both a lyrical and comedic genius and his acerbic social observations are a joy to behold. This album in particular has had a lot of influence on me. I used to run a music group years ago called Irk The Purists, the name was taken from a song off here. As was Evil Gazebo, a username I used for a long time.  

King’s X – Faith, Hope Love (1990)

Once touted as the future of Metal, they kind of got forgotten about when Grunge arrived, which was a massive shame (them being forgotten not Grunge. Grunge was cool). They mix Classic Rock and Prog with Beatles-Style harmonies and nobody was really doing what they did and they’re still instantly recognisable as they still have a fairly unique sound. This album was probably their most successful and I've loved it for a long time.

Strung Out – Twisted By Design (1998)

One of several excellent Modern Punk bands signed to Fat Wreck Chords, the label owned by NOFX’s Fat Mike. Strung Out were a little more technical, almost Proggy, in their delivery than the others though just as aggressive, They have plenty of great albums but Twisted In Design is the one that’s stuck with me the most and is probably the most consistent.

Suicidal Tendencies – Lights…Camera…Revolution! (1990)

I loved this band at school and at their peak they were untouchable, the perfect mix of Punk and Crossover Thrash. It features some of thier most well known songs like You Can't Bring Me Down and Send Me Your Money. Later albums became a lot more Funkk orientated and their last, 13, was really disappointing. This album is fantastic though, full of riffs, melody and attitude. It’s mostly aged well too. Join the Suicyco army!

Tori Amos – Little Earthquakes (1991)

The first time I heard Tori Amos was during a singles review on Radio 1; Silent All These Years was one of the singles reviewed and I loved it. I was a young man with the “If it’s not Metal it’s shit” mindset but I thought that haunting ballad of domestic abuse was enchanting. The album itself is incredible, often just Tori and her piano working through some serious issues with her quirky sense of humour. She’s released dozens of albums of varying quality since then but she’ll never better this cathartic fusion of beauty and pain.

Dire Straits – Brothers In Arms (1985)

This was the first album I ever owned! I got it for Christmas when I was 12 I think. I asked for it because Walk of Life and Money For Nothing had funny videos. Every song on it is good in it’s own right, although some of them are a little too long; several are between six and nine minutes long. I think most people around my age have or had this album at some point. It’s sold millions in the 30 or so years it’s been available. That ain’t workin’…

Bad Religion – Stranger Than Fiction (1994)

This long running Californian Punk band have often been derided for being samey, I can see why people might say that on the face of it but they just need a few listens to sink in is all. Greg Graffin has a really strong voice and his lyrics often require a dictionary to understand, he's likes his fancy words! They often have multipart harmonies which is uncommon in Punk bands and one of the reasons I love them so much. This album is probably their most successful and the one that originally turned me onto them. Again, some albums are better than others but they haven't done anything that hasn’t been at least pretty good.

Stavesacre - (stāvz'ā'kər) (2002)

Stavesacre are/were a Christian Post Hardcore band from Huntington Beach, California. I first heard them on a Tooth & Nail compilation and they’ve slowly become one of my favourite bands. I’m not normally big on Christian music (despite considering myself one) but they keep the preaching to a minimum and a lot of their songs regard questioning Belief rather than blindly following it, which is a refreshing viewpoint to have. They’ve since distanced themselves from the scene altogether.  Mark Salomon has a warm, powerful voice and is a competent songwriter. There's plenty of  head-nodding riffery going on but there's a softness to them too. They don't really sound like anyone else and that's always a good thing.

Devin Townsend – Ocean Machine: Biomech (1997)

The first I ever heard of Devin was when he joined The Wildhearts as a touring guitarist. Not long after that I got the album City by his band, Strapping Young Lad, it was one of the heaviest things I’d ever heard. It also had a weird, twisted sense of Melody running through it that sucked me in. It’s a wonderous album and you might be forgiven for wondering why I haven’t included it in this list. This album was released the same year as City but is completely different.  It’s still a metal album but much more introspective and thoughtful. SYL were all screams but on Biomech Devin showed off his impressive singing voice and vocal range. It’s a beautiful album and it's laid down the groundwork for his lengthy career in Progressive Metal. The CD I bought was released as Ocean Machine – Biomech but the rerelease renamed it under Devin’s name as he'd become a lot more established.

Harry Nilsson – Nilsson Schmilsson (1971)

My Dad used to play this album a lot when I was a kid and it’s just stayed with me all my life. Most of you will know Without You which is one of his most famous songs and taken from this album. Coconut is another popular one but it's a lot different to Without You. The whole album generally is very eclectic, Jump In The Fire is full on Classic Rock, whereas Early In The Morning is a Bluesy song that sees Harry accompanied by just a Hammond organ, Gotta Get Up, Down and Let The Good Times Roll are Beatles-Inspired Pop Rock but The Moonbeam Song and I’ll Never Leave You are pure croon.


Savatage - Streets – A Rock Opera

As a teen I saw the Tom Hanks film The Money Pit and there's a scene in that where they've double booked a string section and a rock band for a party. Both acts play together and I loved the sound it made and wanted to find more like it, Not long after and Gutter ballet by Savatage cropped up on a rock show I was watching. It just happened to be a metal song with a string section and I thought it was great. This concept album was released shortly after that so I got it and now they're one of my favourite bands. It tells the story of a drug dealer who becomes a rock star who becomes a junkie. Despite the morose pretext it's an uplifting, almost Chrismassy album that tells the story through a variety of musical styles. I love Jon Oliva's raspy vocals and his brother Criss pulls off some special guitar solos. There''s several power ballads, a couple that are just Jon at a piano, some Pop Rock and then some proper, full on Metal. I don't think this album is for everyone but it's one of my absolute favourites.

DOWNLOAD PLAYLIST: HERE 
Tracklist:
The Wildhearts – Everlone
Half Man Half Biscuit – Look Dad No Tunes
King’s X – Fine Art Of Friendship
Strung Out – Paper Walls
Suicidal Tendencies – Lost Again
Tori Amos – Winter
Dire Straits – So Far Away
Bad Religion – Tiny Voices
Stavesacre – A Place Where I Can Breathe
Devin Townsend – Funeral
Harry Nilsson – Let The Good Times Roll
Savatage - Streets


No comments:

Post a Comment